A growing non-profit serving hundreds of students a year.
The need for this organization is as strong today as it was when the council was founded more than 36 years ago by concerned citizens in Florence County. We strive daily to follow our mission of providing quality instruction to those in need, with the ultimate goal of improved self-esteem and self-sufficiency for all of our adult learners.
The mission of the Florence Area Literacy Council is to provide One-on-One adult literacy instruction, to build student capability and self-esteem through the use of trained volunteer tutors serving the greater Florence area.
The vision of the Florence Area Literacy Council is a population in Florence County where each adult is functionally literate.
Christina P. Lawson, Executive Director
Sissie Gripper, Office Manager/LACES Coordinator
Debbie Winchester, Program Coordinator
The Florence Area Literacy Council offers self-paced adult instruction that is tailored to fit the academic and scheduling needs of our adult learners.
- One-on-One classes are available with tutors based on needs of students and availability of volunteers.
- Student registration is every Monday beginning at 9:00am.
- Registration Fee of $15 for students.
- Call 843-667-1908 to set up an appointment for registration.
Adult basic education program provides instruction in the following areas:
A skills assessment is given and materials are assigned accordingly. Independent study, small group instruction and computer assisted instruction is offered 4 days a week. These sessions include Pre-GED preparation to help students reach their personal goals. Tutors are available and One-on-One instruction is provided during office hours and at additional times by appointment only.
English as a second language
Beginner, intermediate and advanced conversation tutoring is available for adults who want to learn to speak, write and communicate more effectively in English. Educational software is available in the computer lab to improve communication skills.
Special Programs and Workshops
- Workplace skills
- Health Literacy
- Financial Literacy
- Parenting Skills
The success of the Florence Area Literacy Council depends on Volunteers and we need you!
There are many volunteer opportunities available:
- You can tutor an adult learner
- Be an office volunteer
- Work with small groups
- Teach someone to speak the English language
- Help with annual fundraising events
- Assist the student recruitment by helping to distribute fliers and information about the literacy program
- Assist the volunteer recruitment by helping to inform others in the community about our program.